Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Marching into March Harvest

 Since we came back last November lemon harvest season has been very long or continue until now in our garden. Lemon trees has been fruiting very well and lemon fruits has been dominating some space in the wet kitchen. When we have several days of warm weather, I really have to harvest the lemon quite often. Passion fruits also has been making its way back to the kitchen this March as some fruits are seen ripening up on the tree and some has drop for picking.
Other small fruit harvest this early March is velvet apples, soursop and papayas.
Okra fruits also growing long so fast in just 2 days it can be more than 15 cm. Need to check on the okra plants almost everyday to pick the fruits. Butterfly pea blooms are generous everyday.
 We also harvested jicama tubers, sweet basil leaves, birds-eye chillies, pandan leaves and nam nam fruits. I was clearing up a patch and one volunteer javanese ginseng was growing on that spot. Pulled out the javanese ginseng and got a nice ginseng root. Javanese ginseng root is as potent as Chinese/Korean ginseng root.  The leaves and flowers from the javanese ginseng is edibles and I add into the stir-fried pasta for a quick simple lunch for us. We also deep-fried sweet basil leaves and butterfly pea flowers battered with tempura flour. I was surprised the boys ate them so quickly like snacks came out from the potato chips bag. I thought they won't find it interesting at first. I had to compete with the kids to have a bite or two before it finishes.

20 comments:

olive said...

So colorful!

Barbie~ said...

I always love seeing your baskets. Okra performs the same way here and I know that it's just around the corner when you have them.

Michelle said...

You have such interesting harvests, so different from what I can grow. I love those butterfly pea blossoms, so pretty!

Norma Chang said...

I would so love to have a wedge of that sour sop and papaya.

MaDiHaA a.k.a Ratna said...

byknya hasil.... seronok akak tgk.. buah durian belanda tu kegemaran akak... sedapnya...

kitsapFG said...

Your harvests are always so diverse, colorful, and to my northern US garden eye .... so tropical and exotic!

Merry Tummy said...

so yummmm....come and participate in my event. Cook mela food
http://merrytummy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/march-event-announcement-favorite.html

Sue Garrett said...

Your harvest are fascinating. I'm guessing the pink flowers are the ginseng. Very oretty.

Liz said...

I can just imagine the kids getting into the fried leaves and flowers. Same thing would happen in my house so I always make sure I keep some back in the kitchen.

rainfield61 said...

Be it in Australia or in Malaysia, you always have good harvests.

Daphne Gould said...

I always love your harvest. They contain things that I've never seen in real life.

Bee Girl said...

Such amazing variety! I don't even recognize many of the items you harvest! Congrats on such a "fruitful" year :-)

Sunray Gardens said...

Great haul from the garden. Everything sure looks nice and healthy.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Mama Pongkey said...

I love the last pic with the kemboja and butterfly pea flowers. The most I have done with the pea flowers is make blue coloured rice and blue coloured teas. Making tempura is definitely an option to be explored.
I must remind myself to sow the javanese ginseng soon.

Dewberry / Amanita said...

The colour of these blue flowers is amazing! Are they edible too?

KL said...

Awesome harvest. Please post some recipes as I love your food.

Ummu Madihah said...

Salam Nadia,

Alhamdulillah yet again, very bountiful harvest. Yang seronoknya bunga biru tu dibuat tempura! Mesti sedap sampai berebut dgn the boys!

James David said...

That is a lovely harvest. I didn't know lemon can grow in our tropical climate.

Lrong Lim said...

Velvet apples is new to me...

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Olive, Michelle, KitsapFG, Daphne, Bee Girl, Cher~ Thank you. I like the many colours too. Each colours is special.

Barbie~ I remembered your bountiful okra harvest. Okra does really well at your place.

Norma~ We have plenty of papayas but mostly birds enjoy them as the plants are to tall to harvest.

Kak MaDiHaA~ Syukur alhamdulillah durian belanda rajin berbuah tapi banyak buahnya tak sempat nak ambil jatuh sebab hujan lebat.

Shweta~ Will drop a visit later.

Sue~ The big pink one is frangipani. The ginseng flower is in the middle very dainty.

Liz~I am very forgetful to keep some ;).

Rainfield61~ The fruits are from my parents hard of labour since we moved here 18 years ago.

Mama Pongkey~Javanese ginseng grows very easily, very hardy plant and self-seed easily.

Dewberry~ Yes the blue flowers are edibles. You can eat them like salad.

KL~ Will try to post some. I always forgot to take photos of them before we enjoyed the dishes.

Ummu Madihah~ Papa the boys yang pandai masak masakan Jepun.

James Missier~Lemon grows very well here especially during wet season.

Lrong Lim~ Velvet apples is known as buah mentega, native to south-east Asia.